Are you a Fibre Channel newbie, or just trying to get a solid grasp of the basics? This Fast Guide to Fibre Channel basics has everything you need to get up-to-speed on the speediest (not to mention one of the most expensive) of the storage interconnects. Also included in this guide: The pros and cons of FC, new developments in low-cost FC and comparisions with other storage protocols.
|TABLE OF CONTENTS
Whatis Fibre Channel?
Evaluating network protocols
Pros/cons of Fibre Channel
The new wave: Low-cost Fibre Channel
Latest Fibre Channel news/developments
Library of SAN/NAS tips
- Glossary Definition: Fibre Channel
- Whatis FCIP?
- Whatis the FCIA?
- SAN School Lesson 3: What makes a SAN go?
Understanding the performance aspects of a SAN can help you begin to see where the benefits lie. This lesson is devoted to the inner workings of a SAN, such as latency issues, Fibre Channel protocols, WWN and how the SAN fabric works.
- How to decide between Fibre and SCSI SANs
Test, test, test. That's the advice from expert Chris Poelker whenever evaluating any product you plan on bringing into your data center. In this tip, Chris lists 10 things you must consider before you make your choice.
- Featured Topic: Evaluate network protocols
To help make your research a breeze, SearchStorage.com has gathered the best news, expert Q&As, tips and quick guides on the various network protocols. This Featured Topic is geared to help you evaluate each protocol.
- Article: Choosing your storage networking protocol
- Article: The difference between SCSI and FC protocols
- Expert advice: Choosing the right number of FC ports on a disk subsystem
- Expert advice: What's native Fibre Channel and it's benefits?
- Article: User dumps Fibre Channel for ATA
Expedient swaps out an EMC Symmetrix for a Nexsan ATA array and claims it has seen no performance degradation. It has seen a massive drop in its cost.
- Tutorial: SAN School Webcast Series: Chapter 8, Tying SANs Together
Join Christopher Poelker, co-author, "Storage Area Networks for Dummies" for a webcast on how to create a full scale network by tying SANs together. This lesson looks at how to extend the SAN, connectivity between SANs and SAN islands, IP storage, virtualization (in-band, out-of-band) and SW/HW pooling.
- Poll: Fibre Channel for less?
What do you think is driving the price of FC down? Find out what your peers say in this poll.
- Tip: Can cheap Fibre Channel HBAs stave off iSCSI?
If you can hold off your HBA purchases, you'll be well served. Analysts say the price of FC HBAs should be slashed in half in the next 12-18 months. Another factor -- the emergence of iSCSI will put more pressure on the HBA. What is the future of HBAs especially when the big boys of storage deliver native iSCSI storage? Find out here.
- Article: Is low-cost Fibre Channel finally here?
A lot can happen in a couple of years. Two years ago, storage salespeople's unofficial modus operandi was to ignore storage area network (SAN) buyers that didn't have at least $250,000 to spend. Now, a new Fibre Channel (FC) switch from QLogic, the SANbox 5200, has a street price of under $500/port.
- Article: IDC: Fibre Channel switch prices dropping
IDC Corp. predicts a drop in the cost of Fibre Channel switches and, when coupled with similar savings on HBAs, could mean a true price decline for Fibre Channel SAN gear.
- Article: 4 Gb/s FC: Why bother?
Users can't foresee a reason to move to 4 Gb/s FC networks when they are barely touching the capabilities of their 2 Gig gear.
- Article: HP snubs SATA for low-cost Fibre drive
HP has opted for Seagate's new FATA drive over the more popular serial ATA drives. What's the deal?
- Article: Sub-$10,000 SANs become a reality
Storage startup iQstor is offering a serial ATA-based Fibre Channel SAN for a price one expert calls "impossible to argue with."
Dig Deeper on Virtualization and private cloud