BACKGROUND IMAGE: iSTOCK/GETTY IMAGES
Red Hat is a leading software company in the business of assembling open source components for the Linux operating system and related programs into a distribution package that can easily be ordered and implemented.
Red Hat was one of the first companies to realize that "free" software could be sold as a product. After examining the successful marketing campaign of Evian water, Red Hat executives concluded that in order to be successful, the company had to create more Linux users and brand Red Hat as the Linux name that customers preferred. Today, the "Red Hat Plan" is often discussed in business schools as a model for making customer support a company's primary product.
On October 28, 2018, it was announced that IBM would be acquiring Red Hat. According to IBM, Red Hat will become a business unit of IBM’s Hybrid Cloud team and continue to preserve the independence and neutrality of Red Hat’s open source development heritage.
Current Red Hat products include:
- Red Hat Ansible - an open source IT configuration management (CM) and automation platform.
- Red Hat Atomic Host - a variant of Red Hat Enterprise Linux with optimizations for container hosting.
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux (RHEL) - a distribution of the Linux operating system developed for the business market.
- Red Hat OpenShift - an open source container application platform.
- Red Hat OpenStack Platform - a commercially supported distribution of open source OpenStack software designed to build and manage large pools of compute, storage and networking resources in public and private clouds.
- Red hat Package Manager - a program for installing, uninstalling, and managing software packages in Linux.
- Red Hat Satellite - an IT infrastructure management tool primarily used to monitor and manage Red Hat Enterprise Linux environments. Satellite is part of Red Hat's four-piece systems management tool set for enterprise IT, which also includes Ansible, CloudForms and the Red Hat Insights service.
- Red Hat Storage (RHS) - a distributed file system that acts as a scale-out network-attached storage (NAS) and object storage software solution.
- Red Hat Virtualization (RHV) - an enterprise-class virtualization platform.