Looking for something else?
Intelligent Power Management (IPM) is a combination of hardware and software that optimizes the distribution and use of electrical power in computer systems and data centers. While the installation of IPM involves up-front cost and ongoing maintenance, the technology can save money in the long term as a result of reduced electric bills, reduced downtime and prolonged hardware life.
The features of IPM vary from product to product. All IPM solutions incorporate:
- Temperature monitoring and regulation
- Voltage regulation
- Current limiting
- Load distribution
Advanced IPM technology can include some or all of the following functions.
- Branch circuit protection, in which each group of outlets has its own breaker or fuse.
- Centralized, integrated management, which allows administrators to monitor all data center hardware, isolating problems and resolving them quickly when they occur.
- Smart load shedding, which allows graceful shutdown of non-essential devices under specified conditions.
- Use of three-phase power to balance power loads and maximize the available current for each load.
- Use of zoned cooling to prevent isolated overheating incidents with a minimum of wasted energy.
- System redundancy to ensure uninterrupted operation in case of localized hardware or software failure.
- Coordinated management of power-supply hardware from multiple vendors.