The Uptime data center tier standards are a standardized methodology used to determine availability in a facility. The tiered system, developed by the Uptime Institute, offers companies a way to measure return on investment (ROI) and performance. The standards are comprised of a four-tiered scale, with Tier 4 being the most robust. See the table at the end of the definition for an illustration of the differences between the four tiers.
By submitting your personal information, you agree that TechTarget and its partners may contact you regarding relevant content, products and special offers.
The Uptime Institute offers a certification process to address the issue of companies advertising loosely-interpreted and unverified claims of certification. As of the beginning of 2008, more than two dozen data centers had been certified by the Institute. The certification process begins with a desktop review of submitted design documents by licensed engineers at the Uptime Institute. The review is followed by a site visit where Uptime employees examine whether a facility had been built or expanded according to the submitted design. The Uptime Institute has also released a grading system for operational sustainability to augment the tier standards. The tiers focus on the design of the data center facility; the operational sustainability grades target how well the facility is actually run.
|Tier level||Data center requirements|
1) A single, non-redundant distribution path serving IT equipment.
2) Non-redundant capacity components.
1) All Tier 1 requirements.
2) Redundant capacity components.
1) All Tier 1 and 2 requirements.
2) Multiple independent distribution paths serving IT equipment. Generally, only one distribution path serves equipment at any given time.
3) All IT equipment is dual-powered and fully compatible within the topology of a site's architecture.
1) All Tier 1, 2 and 3 requirements.
2) The facility is fully fault-tolerant, through electrical, storage and distribution networks.
3) All cooling equipment is independently dual-powered, including HVAC systems.
Continue Reading About Uptime data center tier standards
- The Uptime Institute published a white paper containing tier standard guidelines on its website (PDF).
- Mark Fontecchio wrote about the Uptime Institute's operational sustainability grading system for SearchDataCenter.com.