First non-CICS. OS/VS COBOL object programs are fully supported by IBM service if running under the Language Environment run-time library instead of the OS/VS COBOL run time library. The OS/VS COBOL run time library went out of support years ago, but the old objects can run under LE just fine. For details about how to move from OS/VS COBOL run-time to LE run-time, see the COBOL Migration Guide, chapter 6.
By the way, we are discussing when to remove support for OS/VS COBOL programs from LE, but it is not in any plan yet.
Now for CICS, where the story gets much more interesting.
CICS TS 2.2
- Cannot translate OS/VS COBOL programs
- Must use COBOL3 translator option
- OS/VS COBOL programs under OS/VS COBOL runtime library may run, but unsupported with CICS TS 2.3
- OS/VS COBOL programs will run, but only if using LE
- Any attempts to initialize OS PL/I, OS/VS COBOL or VS COBOL II run times will result in ABEND
- All High-Level Language programs running under CICS must use LE CICS TS 3.1
- OS/VS COBOL programs will ABEND even if using LE!
This was first published in March 2005