New & Notable
Operations manager Adam Fowler explains the many factors that determine a VM host server's ability to increase its workload and whether you need to buy additional equipment for your VMs.
The light may be at the end of the tunnel in the quest to combine IT ops monitoring onto a single pane of glass.
A fleet of servers is only as good as its connected storage. The right storage design for your data center depends on cost, simplicity and performance requirements.
x86 commodity rackmount servers Get Started
What's the difference between white box servers and Open Compute servers? What's the risk involved without brand-name server features?
Big data creates a big test for enterprises: finding the right employees who can meld the technology and business needs in a way to make the data useful.
IT process automation, data center automation Get Started
The tenets of traditional IT -- well-tended data center hardware, owned software deployments -- are falling away in the cloud era of standardization and orchestration.
Data center cooling Evaluate
The data center has seen its fair share of failed attempts to uproot traditional thinking. New ideas for power, cooling and maintenance top the list.
Purchases of racks, cabling, power equipment and data center infrastructure management software top the list for data center spending.
Data Center Design and Facilities (6) +
Data Center Infrastructure: Servers Networking, Storage and OSes (11) +
- Blade servers
- Converged infrastructure (CI)
- Data center systems concerns for value-added resellers (VARs)
- iSeries - data center
- Linux servers
- Microsoft Windows Server in the data center
- Network cabling
- Storage concerns in the data center
- Storage hardware in the data center
- Unix servers
- x86 commodity rackmount servers
Data Center Operations and Best Practices (9) +
- Data center budget considerations
- Data Center Disaster Recovery
- Data center hosting, outsourcing and colocation
- Data Center Jobs and Staffing and Professional Development
- Data center services in the cloud
- Data center standards and metrics
- IT Compliance: SOX and HIPAA in the data center
- IT Governance: ITIL, ITSM, COBIT
- Server hardware packaging, recycling, e-waste
Data Center Systems Management and IT Operations (5) +
IBM System z and Mainframe Systems (6) +
Have a question for an expert?
Please add a title for your question
Get answers from your peers on your most technical Data Center challenges.
Robert Gates asks:
What do you see as the benefits of hyper-converged infrastructure? The drawbacks?
Adam Fowler asks:
What's the best way to benchmark VM resource utilization?
Robert Gates asks:
How would a single pane of glass for operations monitoring benefit your data center?
Find Solutions For Your Project
IT pros at TurboTax spotted trouble with big data search times on Vertica after standing up 40 new servers and the tax deadline just weeks away.
Data center operators can use tools already in place to create IT asset management strategies that yield millions in savings.
Pro+ Data Center DownloadsView All
E-Handbook | July 2015Download
E-Zine | July 2015Download
E-Zine | June 2015Download
E-Chapter | June 2015Download
E-Handbook | June 2015Download
Data Center Basics
A white box server typically comprises standardized parts in a no-frills system configuration. Will they work with GPUs or handle upgrades well?
A runlevel is a Linux operating state that determines which programs can execute when the operating system restarts.
Blog: Data Center Apparatus
The summer weather didn’t slow down anyone in the cool, dark halls of the data center. Catch up on the big news and expert advice from the past month that other data center pros found valuable. The big picture: Ten data center trends you need to know These trends, shared at the Gartner IT ...Continue Reading
The problem with getting older is that I sometimes find myself set in my ways — gravitating toward things that I knew (or was at least interested in). I confess that I sometimes feel a little overwhelmed by the many abstract concepts emerging across the industry like big data and the Internet...Continue Reading
More Data Center Apparatus PostsView All Blog Posts
Sections from across SearchDataCenter
With the split two months away, HP Enterprise needs to ensure its hardware, software and services groups work and play better together.
Converged infrastructure (CI)
Configuration and change management tools
- OpenPower Foundation
- unified computing system (UCS)
- CEEDA (Certified Energy-Efficient Datacenter Award)
- ISO 50001 (International Organization for Standardization 50001)
- brownfield (brownfield deployment, brownfield site)
- total benefit of ownership (TBO)
- Information Technology (IT)
- Peripheral Component Interconnect Express (PCIe, PCI-E)
- TCO (total cost of ownership)
- uninterruptible power supply (UPS)